In addition to free workshops, the Career and Academic Resource Center at Harvard Extension School offers the following career services to registered Harvard Extension School students, degree candidates, and alumni.
Call-in Career Advising
Linda Spencer, associate director of the Office of Career Services, offers career advising to all registered Extension School students, including certificate seekers. She can edit resumes and cover letters and answer quick questions about career options, job search strategies, and interviewing. Advising is offered over the phone and via Skype.
This first-come, first-served service is available the first Monday of each month, between 1 and 3:45 pm, September to May. There are no appointments. Just call Linda at (617) 496-8946 or contact her via Skype (linda.spencer.at.ocs) during call-in hours.
Can’t come to call-in hours?
- You can also see Linda's videos on:
- Follow her most effective and often repeated career advice: “Networking is the #1 most effective job search strategy.”
- As focus and clarity are key in today’s economy, you should develop a target list of interested organizations and be clear about your desired functional role. Remember to articulate how you add value to an organization.
- If you already have an undergraduate degree, don’t forget to look into the career resources provided for alumni at your alma mater.
Admitted Degree Candidates and Alumni Only
The Office of Career Services at Harvard University offer a variety of career services to Harvard Extension School admitted degree candidates and alumni. The following are must-do-steps to make the most of the services:
- Get a quick overview of all OCS career services by visiting Career Services for Harvard Extension School.
- Educate yourself about finding a job in a particular field.
- Register with Crimson Careers. This database provides a platform of jobs and internships from employers specifically interested in Harvard College, GSAS, and Extension School students. New listings are added daily; the database currently includes hundreds of jobs and internships. Once registered, you can set-up an appointment with Linda Spencer through the online scheduler. You’ll also receive emails about upcoming career events.
- Schedule an individual, 30-minute career counseling appointment with Linda Spencer, through Crimson Careers. Appointments are offered year round, Monday through Friday.
- Review the OCS calendar for upcoming career and graduate school workshops just for degree candidates and alumni.
- Review the listing of upcoming industry-specific career fairs in order to network with hiring managers in your field.
Campus Interview Program
Harvard Extension School 2018-19 graduates are eligible to use the fall 2018 Campus Interview Program. This program brings employers on campus for full-time, first-round job interviews for graduating students. Interviews are held in late September and October.
The majority of the employment opportunities are in finance, consulting, and information technology; therefore, the program is not meant to be single source of all employment opportunities. It is one tool among many that you should utilize in your search for jobs and internships.
Be aware that the Campus Interview Program is primarily for the entry-level hiring of Harvard College undergraduates.
To participate, you must:
- Have a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA.
- Complete the online Harvard Extension School intent to graduate form for a November, March, or May graduation (available via online services).
- Attend the mandatory orientation in August at the Office of Career Services, 54 Dunster Street, Cambridge, Mass.
- Attend, if you can, the Campus Interview Program (business and technology) fall career fair in September. Based on your interest, attend the Finance and FinTech Networking Night and Consulting Networking Night.
For more information, visit the Office of Career Services' webpage.
Harvard Extension School Job Fair
Each spring CARC hosts our own job fair for Harvard Extension School admitted degree candidates, alumni, and certificate students only. Past participants have included Santader Bank, GEICO, EMD Serono, Inc., the Museum of Fine Arts, Peace Corps, and The Nature Conservancy. At this educational and career-focused event you network with over 20 companies in an intimate setting to learn about job and internship opportunities. Come prepared with your 15-second pitch and plenty of resumes. Also, be sure to dress for success. The next job fair will be held Thursday, March 7, 2019 at the Sheraton Commander Hotel. Invitations will be sent via email.
You can also attend the job fair as an employer and hire from Extension School. Contact Shoshana Mavor at email@example.com or (617) 384-9361 to learn more.
“Thank you so much for having us at the Job Fair! We had a blast, and connected with some great candidates. We are looking forward to the next one!” -Employer
"The Job Fair is intimate enough for you to have time to speak with a representative from each company and yet also diverse enough to feature prospective employers from a wide range, so be sure to tailor your elevator speeches and resumes for multiple industries." -Harvard Extension School student
“Events like this Job Fair are the pearl in the HES oyster. One of the most valuable takeaways of being an HES student. Not to be missed!" -Harvard Extension School student
The Presidential Public Service Fellowship Program
The Presidential Public Service Fellowship Program supports Harvard students interested in pursuing public service work during the summer. Ten fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis each year to a cohort of Harvard undergraduate and graduate students participating in a broad range of activities, including government and community service, non-governmental organization and non-profit work, and innovative projects that serve the common good. Application deadline: February 1, 2018.
Presidential Management Fellows Program
The Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program is administered by the US Office of Personnel Management (OPM). Each year, candidates apply to the program in efforts to be selected as Finalists. Finalists are then eligible for appointment as Presidential Management Fellows.
The PMF Program accepts applications annually. To learn more about eligibility and how to apply, please review the “Become a PMF” section on the PMF website. The PMF application typically opens in October.
Environmental Defense Fund Climate Corps Fellowship
EDF Climate Corps is a network of professionals united to advance climate solutions. The fellowship program brings together an arsenal of top talent, resources and expertise in a variety of subject matters and industries to help organizations meet their sustainability and energy goals. Fellows work under the guidance of a host supervisor and EDF manager to uncover strategic energy management and climate solutions for their host organization. Since 2008, EDF Climate Corps has placed nearly 1,000 fellows in host organizations including Under Armour, Google, Lyft, City of Los Angles, General Motors, Vassar College and the New York City Mayor’s Office of Sustainability. Projects may focus on: Scaling Energy Efficiency Solutions, Carbon Mitigation Strategies, Clean and Renewable Energy, and Sustainable Supply Chain Management. The application period opens in September, details can be found here.
All Ivy Environmental and Sustainable Development Fair
For the past 16 years, representatives from private companies, public agencies, and nonprofit organizations have attended this career fair, in order to talk to degree students and identify candidates for full-time and part-time positions, internships, and fellowships.
The fair takes place March 1, 2019 from 10 am to 3 pm, at Columbia University's Roone Arledge Auditorium, Lerner Hall, in New York City. Learn more about the event and hear from past attendees on the fair's website.
Don’t miss out on this opportunity to meet with the sustainability focused organizations who just might turn out to be your next employer; mark March 1, 2019 on your calendars today!
Follow the event's Facebook page, and get updates on new employers as they sign up!