Graduation and Honors
Degrees are awarded three times per year:
- November (if you finish your requirements in a summer term*)
- March (if you finish your requirements in a fall term*)
- May (if you finish your requirements in a January session or spring term*)
*To remain in compliance with federal reporting guidelines, you are required to graduate when you have met all degree requirements. For example, if you finish in summer, you cannot graduate in March or May; you must graduate in November.
The University-wide commencement ceremony is held once a year, in May. If you are a November or March graduate, you participate in the following May’s ceremony, after your degree has been awarded.
Intent to Graduate
As you near the completion of the program, you must complete the intent to graduate form, which is available through online services. Submit the online form according to the following schedule:
- For November graduation, by June 1
- For March graduation, by August 1
- For May graduation, by November 1
To graduate and participate in May Commencement, you need to fulfill all degree requirements (no makeup or extension grades pending) and be in good academic standing with no disciplinary or administrative procedures pending. You also must be in good financial standing with Harvard University with no outstanding tuition bills or fees.
Learn more about available honors and prizes.
The following degrees are awarded by the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS), Harvard University:
- Bachelor of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies cum laude or Bachelor of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies
- cumulative GPAs, areas of concentration, fields of study, minors, certificates, prizes, and academic awards are displayed on your Harvard transcript.
- Master of Liberal Arts in Extension Studies
- all FAS master's degree diplomas are printed in Latin and fields are not displayed. Fields of study, cumulative GPAs, certificates, prizes, and academic awards appear on your Harvard transcript.
On your résumé, the degree name may be listed as either:
- Bachelor [or Master] of Liberal Arts, Harvard University Extension School.
- Include field of study, minor, and degree honors when applicable.
- Bachelor [or Master] of Liberal Arts, Extension Studies, Harvard University.