Course Changes and Withdrawals

Review the following deadlines and policies before making changes to your course schedule.

Course change and withdrawal deadlines

You may add courses, change credit status, and drop or withdraw from courses via online services. If you register by the registration deadline each term or session, you are charged no fees to make these changes.

The following are dates by which these changes must be submitted online or received at 51 Brattle Street for courses that follow the full academic calendar: 

  Fall term January session Spring term
Course and credit status changes September 10 January 8 February 3
Full tuition refund, course dropped from record September 10 January 8 February 3
Half tuition refund, course dropped from record September 17 n/a February 10
No tuition refund, course remains on record 
Final grade of WD assigned to credit students,
Final grade of WN assigned to noncredit students 
November 23 January 17 April 26
No withdrawals, course remains on record 
Final grade assigned to students registered for credit
after November 23 after January 17 after April 26

Deadlines may differ for courses that do not follow the full academic calendar. If so, they are noted in course descriptions.

Course Change and Withdrawal Policies

  • You are responsible for confirming all course changes you make by checking your course registration and schedule in online services. Notify the Registrar’s Office of errors immediately.
  • If you add courses during late registration, you still are expected to attend or participate online and do all coursework from the day your classes begin.
  • Stopping payment on checks or credit cards is not a valid method of dropping or withdrawing from courses.
  • You may be assigned a failing grade in a course if you are enrolled for credit, you do not withdraw by the withdrawal deadline, and you do not complete all course requirements.
  • If you are a current or prospective Extension degree candidate or premedical program participant, keep in mind that withdrawal (WD) and failing grades are included in your GPA and can affect your academic standing or eligibility for admission. Review information online about the program that interests you, and call or write Enrollment Services with questions. 

Can’t Make Changes Online?

If you cannot make your course registration changes online, you must submit a registration changes form by the appropriate course change, drop, or withdrawal deadline.