Choosing a Credit Status

Courses are offered at one or more credit levels: undergraduate, graduate, or noncredit, as noted in course descriptions. It’s important to select the status that is best for your current and future goals.

Undergraduate and graduate credit

If you want to receive academic credit and grades, you must register for undergraduate or graduate credit. To register for undergraduate credit, you do not have to be an undergraduate student, but you must be at least 15 years old at the time of registration. To register for graduate credit, you must be at least 18 years old at the time of registration and ordinarily, possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited US institution or the international equivalent. If you take courses for graduate credit, you may have additional or different assignments and generally are required to perform at a higher level than students enrolled for undergraduate credit.


To audit courses, you must register for noncredit if it is available and be at least 15 years old at the time of registration. Courses that do not have a noncredit option may not be audited. Noncredit status means you may not take final exams or submit final projects. In some courses instructors will accept and correct other written work from noncredit students, but they may not assign grades for that work. As a noncredit student, you do not receive grades or academic credit, but the courses do appear on your transcript.

Changing status

You may change your credit status until the late registration deadline, which is also the deadline for course and credit status changes. See the calendar for dates.

Interested in a degree program?

If you are considering applying to an Extension School graduate degree program, register for graduate credit in any course that you intend to apply towards that. Courses taken for undergraduate credit cannot be applied towards an Extension graduate degree.

If you are considering applying to an Extension School undergraduate program, register for undergraduate credit when that status is available. Contact an admissions advisor if you have questions about registering for a course that is only available for graduate credit.