Coronavirus Updates: See latest COVID-19 news from Harvard DCE Professional Development.
This program last ran in March 2020. Future dates to be announced.
As your responsibilities grow, your communication skills can help you succeed—or hold you back. In any business role or function, you must be able to convey your ideas in ways that drive consensus, decisions and action for organizational effectiveness.
Designed for individuals interested in developing essential communication skills to become more persuasive and credible communicators within a variety of settings, you will learn strategies, practical tools, and proven techniques to sway a group to your point of view and help you project a more polished and professional image. From one-on-ones to large groups, and from informal settings to formal presentations, you will become a more confident communicator with a solid understanding of why and how to shift between communication styles.
Through small group activities and real-time feedback, you will put these techniques into practice, test out new approaches, and learn to communicate with poise, clarity, and conviction to inspire action. You’ll leave the program with the skills needed to successfully interact with others in professional settings.
- Learn to influence and persuade others without formal authority, and increase your overall interpersonal and organizational effectiveness
- Develop communication strategies for different business situations and audiences
- Learn how to structure messages into a compelling narrative that inspires your audience to action
- Develop meaningful insights and convey recommendations more effectively
- Cultivate your personal leadership and communication style to connect authentically with your audience
- Practice how to deliver difficult messages and achieve desired results
- Learn skills to think on your feet when in a position to deliver impromptu messages
- Earn a Certificate of Participation from the Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
- Generating ideas for organizing, preparing, and delivering effective presentations
- Building trust and credibility quickly, and effectively handle resistance
- Learning and applying the principles of logical reasoning to lead your audience to action
- Using nonverbal and verbal communications strategies to enhance rapport, including presence, body language, and verbal delivery
- Understanding the powerful impact of storytelling and learn how to incorporate stories in your communications
- How to disagree effectively and hold crucial conversations to resolve conflict
Who should enroll
This program is appropriate for business professionals at all levels of experience looking to improve their communication skills or deliver messages across diverse stakeholders, such as C-suite executives, cross-functional colleagues, employees, customers, and strategic partners. Professionals who need to simplify complex content for their audience will find this program helpful.
Participants must be fluent in English to participate fully in fast-moving discussions, exercises, and group projects.
Note: This program focuses on organizational communications across key stakeholders. It is not suitable for politicians looking to communicate to their constituents or for those looking for media training.