This program last ran in February 2020. Future dates to be announced.
Negotiation is an integral part of creating value for an organization. Your success depends on your skills as a negotiator—regardless of whether you are seeking project resources, deciding on a new hire’s salary, or inking a high-stakes deal for your company.
In this program, you will gain insight into the habits of dealmakers as you build your skills. Through group exercises, you will learn how to execute proven tactics, refine your personal negotiating style, and improve your ability to bargain successfully and ethically in any situation. Along the way, you will gain new appreciation for how negotiating skills can help you overcome a wide range of challenges—at work and beyond.
No prior training in negotiation is required. If you already have some negotiation experience and want to take your strategic skills to a higher level, consider our complementary program, Advanced Negotiation Strategies.
Note: We are also offering this program in an online format: Negotiation Skills: Strategies for Increased Effectiveness (Online)
- Achieve better results in both formal and informal negotiations
- Build confidence in your bargaining power and abilities
- Improve negotiations by managing your emotions and influencing others
- Build positive, productive relationships with all parties at the table
- Create value and “enlarge the pie” to produce win-win outcomes
- Earn a Certificate of Participation from the Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
- Understanding the interests, priorities, and goals of all parties
- Maximizing opportunity through pre-negotiation preparation
- Knowing how personal biases and cultural differences impact negotiations
- Dealing with irrational people and challenging relationships
- Improving communication by listening and asking questions
- Making offers at the right time and in the right way
- Transforming competition into cooperation—and opponents into partners
- Managing teams of negotiators more effectively
- Recognizing when to walk away from the table
Who should enroll
This program is appropriate for professionals at all career levels who want to enhance their negotiation skills and work more productively with customers, colleagues, partners, vendors, and others.