This program last ran in October 2018. Future dates to be announced.
New Online Program in Virtual Team Building
Effectively managing virtual teams requires specialized communication and leadership skills to create cohesion, trust, and collaboration. This online program will teach you how to develop yourself as a successful virtual team leader and collaborator—and how to enhance the productivity of your virtual or remote work and build community with and among remote workers.
In this program, you will learn to create a strong performance culture online, including across geographies and cultures. Experienced instructors teach you tools and techniques to communicate your vision and motivate remote employees or contractors.
Additionally, you will learn how to overcome the structural challenges presented by virtual teams. You will practice your new skills in real time, cementing your newfound knowledge and mastering the tools needed to succeed. The program was designed for anyone who wants to improve their abilities working virtually, whether you're a leader, aspiring leader, or a team member.
This online program includes four modules. See Program Format.
- Understand your role as a leader in building cohesion and culture to drive performance in virtual teams
- Identify the unique opportunities and challenges virtual teams present, including crossing cultures and time zones
- Increase your awareness of, and practice using online tools
- Learn and practice techniques to enhance your virtual team performance and productivity
- Learn from industry examples and case studies
- Earn a Certificate of Completion from the Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
- Building trust, team cohesion, and strong relationships online
- Practices of high-performing virtual teams
- Creating a relationship action plan for your team
- Running productive virtual meetings
- Traits and activities of a successful virtual team leader
- Identifying strengths and areas for development within your virtual team
- Improving cross-cultural, cross-geographic teamwork
Who should enroll
- Professionals who work remotely either part or full time, or who need to maintain working relationships with remote team members or vendors
- Leaders in a role that was face-to-face and is now partly or fully remote
- Employees in a company being asked to build or take over a remote or partly remote team
- Offshore managers or team members
- Companies and organizations where virtual teams are the norm, or those considering moving to that model
- HR, training, and policy professionals who want to build the skills needed to explore or support virtual teams
This program is conducted entirely online, with three main sections.
- Access the program learning platform and engage with your fellow participants before the official start of the program
- Complete a brief technical check-in to ensure a seamless online experience in modules I–IV
- Begin your learning with assigned pre-readings
Each module is one week long and includes the following components:
- Synchronous, interactive web conferences lead by both instructors (1–2:30 pm eastern time). One per module.
- Prereadings covering targeted aspects of virtual teams
- Topic-specific discussion boards used to build a robust conversation amongst participants
- Focused assignments followed by feedback from your instructors
- Short (5-to 10-minute) recorded videos
- Following module IV you will have two weeks to complete a mini-project, bringing together everything you learned. Completion of this mini-project is required to receive the program certificate.
- A final synchronous web conference on the last day of the program. Discuss next steps and how to immediately apply what you have learned within your organization’s own virtual teams.
Required synchronous web conferences meet from 1 to 2:30 pm eastern time on the following dates:
- Thursdays: Oct. 25, Nov. 1, Nov. 8, and Nov. 15
- Friday, Nov. 30