Coronavirus Updates: See latest COVID-19 news from Harvard DCE Professional Development.
Aug. 31-Sept.1, 2020
1:00 - 4:30 pm EST
Sept. 9-10, 20201:00 - 4:30 pm EST
Designed for managers and leaders who have direct reports, this is a foundational online program about the world of coaching. Coaching is a skill anyone can learn and one which we can all improve.
With business moving at breakneck speed, frequent job shifts, and limited in-house training, professionals of all levels grapple with change. As a result, organizations are in dire need of leaders who can guide their colleagues through workplace challenges, help them improve performance, and lead them through career decisions. Leaders and managers who employ coaching as a strategy to address performance, individual and team outcomes, and culture change tend to be more successful. Employees are generally happier working for managers who coach as a part of their leadership style.
This online program offers basic coaching frameworks for internal employees to strengthen their coaching skills. Through lectures, case studies and experiential learning you’ll develop and fine-tune essential coaching skills. Topics covered include how to design a coaching engagement, the role of assessments in coaching individuals and teams, and core principles and qualities to look for when hiring coaches for your company.
Note: The online version of Leadership Coaching Strategies will be delivered in its entirety over four days (3.5 hours online per day).
- Become a better leader by developing your coaching toolkit
- Help your employees reach their potential, while supporting the goals of the company
- Promote a company culture that supports professional growth and retains talented team members
- Prepare for expanded management responsibilities
- Practice key elements of the coaching process, from contracting to initial meeting to completion
- Earn a Certificate of Participation from the Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
- Developing a coaching mindset by examining the latest coaching principles and best practices
- Discovering essential competencies for effective coaching: thinking, being, and doing
- Using personal assessment tools to help people understand how others perceive them
- Adapting your style to the needs of different individuals by practicing new techniques
- Overcoming common coaching challenges, such as delivering difficult feedback in a way that promotes constructive outcomes
- Gaining greater self-awareness through coaching and furthering your own professional development
Who Should Enroll
This fundamental online program is designed for internal managers who want to develop a coaching approach to leadership, as well as HR professionals who want to coach leaders within their organization or who are responsible for hiring external coaches. This online offering is not intended for external coaching consultants, those with an extensive background in coaching, or are already certified coaches.
Instructor Madeline McNeely
1:00—4:30 pm EDT
Madeline McNeely’s mission is to condition leaders and organizations to do meaningful work for decades. Conditioning Leaders LLC, the company she founded in 1994, works with organizational leaders to produce high-quality results, design collaborative processes, and cultivate and sustain trusting relationships. McNeely is a multi-sector, interdisciplinary leader who uses an outcomes-based approach to promote organizational and individual growth and sustainability.