As your responsibilities grow, your communication skills can help you succeed—or hold you back. In any business role or function, you must be able to convey your ideas in ways that drive thoughtful debate, consensus, decisions and action for organizational effectiveness.
This online program is designed for individuals interested in developing essential communication skills to become more persuasive and credible communicators within a variety of settings. You will learn strategies, practical tools, and proven techniques to sway a group to your point of view and help you project a more polished and professional image. From one-on-ones to large groups, and from informal settings to formal presentations, you will become a more confident communicator.
Through large and small group activities and real-time feedback, you will put these techniques into practice, test out new approaches, and learn to communicate with greater poise, clarity, and conviction. You’ll leave the online program with the skills needed to successfully interact with others in professional settings.
Note: All program content will be delivered live and will not be recorded.
William Ellet’s delivery of this program includes an inquiry-based approach to interpersonal communication and considering the impact of gender on organizational communication. It will not cover learning skills to deliver impromptu messages and communicating in a crisis.
- Learn to influence and persuade others without formal authority, and increase your overall interpersonal and organizational effectiveness
- Develop communication strategies for different business situations and audiences
- Learn how to create a compelling structure for your messages that moves your audience to action
- Develop meaningful insights and convey recommendations more effectively
- Cultivate your personal leadership and communication style to connect authentically with your audience
- Practice how to deliver difficult messages and achieve desired results
- Learn skills to think on your feet when in a position to deliver impromptu messages
- Earn a digital Certificate of Participation from the Harvard Division of Continuing Education
- Generating ideas for organizing, preparing, and delivering effective presentations
- Building trust and credibility quickly, and effectively handling resistance
- Learning and applying the principles of logical reasoning to lead your audience to action
- Using various communications strategies (e.g. body language, persuasion) to achieve desired outcomes
- Understanding the powerful impact of storytelling and learn how to incorporate stories in your communications
- How to disagree effectively and hold crucial conversations to resolve conflict
- Leading and communicating in a crisis
Who Should Enroll
This online program is appropriate for business professionals at all levels of experience looking to improve their communication skills or deliver messages across diverse stakeholders, such as C-suite executives, cross-functional colleagues, employees, customers, and strategic partners. Leaders and professionals who need to simplify complex content for their audience will find this program helpful.
Participants must be fluent in English to participate fully in individual, small group, and large group discussions and exercises.
Note: This program focuses on organizational communications across key stakeholders. It is not suitable for politicians looking to communicate to their constituents or for those looking for media training.
Instructor William Ellet
Instructor Michelle Ehrenreich
Instructor William Ellet
Feb. 2021: 10:00 am—1:30 pm ET
May 2021: 3:00—6:30 pm ET
August 2021: 10:00 am—1:30 pm ET
Michelle Ehrenreich is the founding partner of Acuity Partners, a management consultancy firm that helps clients develop effective business, marketing, and communications strategies. She has helped hundreds of executives become more effective leaders and communicators. Previously, Ehrenreich developed workshops and management communication training programs at McKinsey and Company, and marketing and growth strategies for Mercer Management Consulting. She holds an MBA from Harvard Business School and an MS in applied mathematics from Stanford University.
William Ellet is a Lecturer at the University of Miami School of Business, teaching critical thinking, writing, and speaking. He facilitates Harvard Business Publishing Case Method Training Seminars and gives webinars on studying cases and giving presentations for Harvard Extension's undergraduate business students.
As an independent consultant, Ellet teaches workshops on case method teaching and learning and case writing at universities, primarily in Latin America, and for LASPAU, a nonprofit dedicated to improving university teaching in Latin America. He also consults with the Lincoln Institute of Land Policy and the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, helping them build their case libraries for both academic and professional education.