Coronavirus Updates: See latest COVID-19 news from Harvard DCE Professional Development.
Delivering a presentation can cause even the most confident among us to break a sweat. Whether you are delivering a formal presentation, making a pitch, or leading a group discussion, communicating your message with poise, confidence, and conviction is essential in connecting with your audience and inspiring them by building trust and credibility.
Through oral presentations and small group activities, you will put proven techniques and tools into practice, test out new approaches, and learn to communicate clearly and confidently. Discover the powerful impact of storytelling and practical persuasion skills to authentically illustrate your message. Learn how to effectively organize materials to blend analytical and emotional content into a compelling story, and incorporate dynamic introductions and memorable endings into your presentations. You’ll leave the program with the skills needed to engage, inform, and inspire others—and improve your ability to communicate as a leader.
Note: All program content will be delivered live and will not be recorded. The online version of Communication Strategies: Presenting with Impact will run in its entirety over two days (seven hours per day).
- Learn guiding principles of making effective presentations
- Build confidence in your presentation abilities
- Cultivate your personal leadership and communication style
- Learn strategies on handling hostile audiences
- Earn a digital Certificate of Participation from the Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
- Understand and connect with your audience
- Crafting clear and concise messages while using narratives and humor
- Effective handling of Q&A sessions
- Understand persuasion strategies to gain buy-in and influence your audience
- Explore strategies for online communications, webinars, podcasts, Zoom platforms, etc.
- Learn effective delivery skills involving presence, vocal variety, body language, narratives and humor and handling nerves.
Who Should Enroll
This online program is appropriate for business professionals at all levels of experience who would like to enhance their communication skills to succeed in delivering impactful presentations. Participants must be fluent in English to participate fully in fast-moving discussions and exercises.
This online offering is a variation of our previously offered Delivering Effective Presentations, Introduction to Public Speaking: Effective Presentation Skills, Advanced Executive Communication Skills, and Leadership Communication programs. If you have taken any of these, please consider one of these offerings.
Instructor Jill Abruzese Slye, Marjorie North
2020 Class Times: 8:30am-4:30pm EDT
Jill Abruzese Slye has nearly 30 years of business experience in sales, management, communications, public speaking, career event planning, and employer relations. As a Harvard University Extension School graduate, Jill was elected and inducted into the Phi Beta Chapter of Alpha Sigma Lambda.