Coronavirus Updates: See latest COVID-19 news from Harvard DCE Professional Development.
Becoming an expert negotiator requires the ability to structure and execute complex negotiations effectively. But because many negotiators don’t have the knowledge or tools, they find themselves in situations where they keep getting the same results.
In this online program, you’ll learn how to transition from a capable dealmaker to an expert negotiator and how to create value for yourself and your organization. Going beyond basic negotiation tactics, this highly interactive online program delves into strategic planning and the systematic thinking that exemplifies expert negotiators. You’ll learn how to drive success as a negotiator, whether you’re inking a high-stakes deal for your company or engaging in multiparty negotiations.
This fast-paced online learning experience includes negotiation exercises, analysis of business cases, and discussion of challenges you may face at the bargaining table. You will develop more sophisticated negotiating skills, learn how to avoid common deal-making pitfalls, utilize expert planning tools, and emerge prepared to conduct a wider range of complex negotiations with confidence.
Note: The online version of Advanced Negotiation Skills will be delivered in its entirety over four days (3.5 hours online per day).
- Design and execute more effective negotiation strategies
- Improve outcomes
- Boost your bargaining power
- Identify and eliminate barriers to success
- Develop more effective and focused thinking
- Communicate more effectively and influence others
- Negotiate across international or cultural boundaries
- Earn a Certificate of Participation from the Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
- Orchestrating the negotiation process
- Offers, anchors, and influence
- Methodology of sequencing, mapping parties, and interests
- Interests, constraints, alternatives, and perspectives analysis
- Addressing cognitive errors, perceptions, and biases
- How to communicate more effectively and motivate others
- System 2 Thinking and controlling the optics
- Principles of influence: preparing your argument and your audience
- New insights into cross cultural negotiation strategy
- The challenges of multiparty/multi issue negotiations
Who Should Enroll
This online program is designed for professionals in business, industry, government, and non-governmental organizations with some negotiating experience who want to take their strategic skills to a higher level. It is especially helpful for those engaging in multiparty deals, international negotiations, or more complex situations.
Instructor Maurie Kelly
Instructor Maurie Kelly
Instructor Eugene B. Kogan
1:00—4:30 pm EDT
Maurie Kelly has been with the Harvard Division of Continuing Education Professional Development Program for many years and teaches the Negotiation Skills and the Advanced Negotiation Skills seminars. In addition, she has been a member of the faculty at Penn State University since 1997. She holds a PhD in organizational development, a masters of information science, and a degree in history. Her work at Penn State includes teaching in the Smeal College of Business, as well as serving as an associate faculty member with the Sustainability Institute, the Institute for Computational and Data Sciences, and the Institutes of Energy and the Environment.
Eugene B. Kogan, Ph.D., is the Visiting Scholar at Harvard Law School’s East Asian Legal Studies Program. He recently concluded a five-year term as the inaugural Research and Executive Director of Harvard University’s American Secretaries of State Project, which aimed to crystallize diplomatic leadership lessons from 50 years of diplomacy by U.S. Secretaries of State, from William Rogers (1968) to Rex Tillerson (2018).