Coronavirus Updates: See latest COVID-19 news from Harvard DCE Professional Development.
If you’ve reached an inflection point in your career where you’re making increasingly important strategic decisions, this three-day online advanced strategy program will prepare you for these challenges.
This online offering provides you with tools and frameworks for developing a competitive business strategy. Learn how to maximize your strategic advantage and create industry disruption with an integrated, sustainable business model. Expand your ability to analyze market and cost dynamics. Gain insights into the financial profiles of different business models.
Through a carefully designed sequence of business cases, interactive discussions, presentations, and group exercises, you will learn what gives winning organizations their edge in terms of competitive strategy and organizational agility.
Note: The online version of Advanced Business Strategy: Gaining a Competitive Edge will be delivered in its entirety over three days (seven hours per day).
- Construct a competitive business strategy based on sustainable economic advantages and operational alignment
- Analyze the quadrants of your business model, employing field-tested tools and techniques
- Communicate strategic business choices using language and concepts you can share to build buy-in
- Prepare for the full spectrum of strategic challenges and opportunities that leaders face
- Earn a Certificate of Participation from the Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
- Designing and analyzing business models
- Assessing the competitive landscape, including cracks in others’ business models
- Identifying sources of sustainable cost and differentiation advantage
- Evaluating financial footprints and the different paths to profitability
- Relating product uptake to revenue models and investment strategy
- Connecting operational and strategic cost drivers
- Preparing for strategic disruption and organizational realignment
Who Should Enroll
This online program is ideal for:
- Senior leaders who want to gain new insights into business strategy, market dynamics, and competitive advantage
- Leaders moving into new roles where they need to anticipate the complex, interconnected implications of strategic decisions
- Strategy and finance professionals who want to expand their toolkit related to business design and dynamics
While no specific training is required, ideally, participants will have previously studied strategy or attended a program on the fundamentals of strategy, such as Business Strategy for Managers. Participants should also have a fundamental understanding of business economics.
Instructor David McIntosh, Jon Fay
Instructor David McIntosh, Jon Fay
10:30 am—6:30 pm EDT
Jon was vice president of executive development and global head of EMC University for EMC Corporation, an 80,000-employee technology company. Prior to joining EMC, Jon was the co-founder of Wilson | Alan, a consulting firm specializing in executive development and strategic alignment, and a vice president and business strategy consultant at Temple, Barker & Sloane (now Oliver Wyman).
David McIntosh is the founder and president of Creative Business Breakthroughs, where he designs and leads strategic planning sessions and management development programs for businesses and nonprofits. Before that, he was a futurist at Ernst Young Center for Business Innovation.