Break Out of Groundhog Day: 10 Ways to Get Out of a Workplace Rut
When every day feels like yesterday, breaking out of a workplace rut can be a challenge. Here are 10 easy ways to shake up the 9 to 5 routine.
- Hold an impromptu brainstorming session for a task you've been avoiding, and offer to repay the favor to coworkers.
- Move a regular meeting to a cafe for a change of scenery and a mugful of energy.
- Mentor junior employees over lunch to gain a fresh perspective on the status quo.
- Turn off your phone, close your office door, and focus on one project, completely uninterrupted.
- Break for five minutes of desk-side yoga to destress your body and mind.
- Enroll in an evening class that you look forward to—something that flexes a part of your brain neglected at the office.
- Hang a discrete mood-board by your desk. Swap out pictures, quotes, and other motivating odds-and-ends on a regular basis.
- Make an event out of a recurring meeting by treating the team to pastries or pizza.
- Work through your daily schedule backwards. Tackle afternoon tasks first thing in the morning, and postpone morning tasks until after lunch.
- Skip the routine altogether, and take a mental health day to recharge and refresh. Your work—and state of mind—will be better for it.