Harvard Extension School Commencement 2018
Over 700 Harvard Extension School undergraduate and graduate students will participate in the 367th Harvard Commencement on Thursday, May 24, 2018. We’ve outlined here all the information you need to reserve tickets, rent your cap and gown, and participate in activities on Commencement Day.
If you are an Extension School graduate from November 2017, March 2018, or May 2018, you can reserve Commencement event and lunch tickets through online services starting mid-March to April 15. Graduates receive a limited number of tickets (typically two tickets) to all Commencement Day events.
Graduates do not need tickets to the events, but all guests must have a ticket for admission to each venue. Other guests are welcome to watch the morning exercises and alumni program in the Science Center, where the ceremonies are live-streamed and tickets are not required. There is seating, air conditioning, and easy access to restrooms.
You will pick up tickets when you arrive on campus during the week leading up to Commencement.
Out-of-town guests should book their accommodations well in advance.
Guests who must have a visa to attend Commencement should begin the application process as soon as possible.
Cap and Gown Rentals
All degree recipients must rent a cap and gown from the Harvard Coop to participate in Commencement Day.
Online cap and gown reservations through the Harvard Coop are available February 26-April 4.
Save the Date
Alumni Commencement Reception and Alumni Banquet
Tuesday, May 22, 2018, 6–9:30 pm
Join us to celebrate our new graduates and celebrate Harvard Extension School alumni as we bring the academic year to a close. This is an event you won't want to miss!
Tickets are $75 for 2018 graduates and their guests, and available for purchase from the Harvard Extension Alumni Association.
Extension School degree recipients are part of the procession of scholars, dignitaries, and graduates from all Harvard schools who gather in Tercentenary Theatre in Harvard Yard.
- 6:45–7:15 am: Celebratory breakfast at 51 Brattle Street. Guests with tickets to morning exercises should proceed directly to Harvard Yard to obtain a seat. Gates open at 6:45 am.
- 7:15 am: Extension School procession to Harvard Yard.
- 8:50 am: Academic procession into Harvard Yard begins.
- 9:45–11:30 am: Morning exercises in Harvard Yard.
11:30 am–12:30 pm
Given the limited time between morning exercises and the diploma-awarding ceremonies, the Harvard Alumni Association provides an optional bag lunch for graduates and guests.
Lunch tickets for graduates and guests must be purchased in advance. Lunch tickets grant access to Harvard Yard at 11:30 am for those who do not attend the morning exercises. Tickets are approximately $15 each and must be purchased by April 15 through online services.
Undergraduate degree recipients
American Repertory Theatre (ART), Loeb Drama Center, 64 Brattle Street
Master of Liberal Arts (liberal arts fields), journalism, and mathematics for teaching degree recipients
First Parish in Cambridge, 3 Church Street
Management and biotechnology degree recipients
Northwest Building, 52 Oxford Street
Finance degree recipients
Lowell Hall, 17 Kirkland Street
Information technology degree candidates
Christ Church Cambridge, Zero Garden Street
Sustainability and museum studies degree candidates
First Church in Cambridge, 11 Garden Street
Alumni Exercises and Keynote Address
All graduates and guests with tickets gather in Harvard Yard, where President Drew Faust and the Commencement speaker give their addresses. The keynote speaker is announced in early 2018.
Visit the Harvard University official Commencement website to learn about the day’s history and traditions.
Tips for Commencement Day
- Commencement will occur rain or shine. Check the forecast ahead of time to be prepared.
- Bring your Harvard ID card or a valid government-issued ID on Commencement day.
- Wear comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing and footwear.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times, and they may not sit with a graduating parent during the morning exercises.
- All persons, bags, and personal items are subject to inspection before entering Harvard Yard. No bag or item larger than 12" x 12"x 12" will be permitted inside the Yard.
- Strollers are permitted in Harvard Yard only in designated sections.
- Disability Seating requests must be made when when you order your tickets through online services (mid-March–April 15).
- Parking near Harvard is extremely limited on Commencement Day. We encourage you to take public transportation or taxi.