English Proficiency Requirement for Registration
English is the language of instruction at Harvard Extension School. If your native language is not English, you must provide designated proof of English proficiency to be enrolled in any Extension School course, unless you are an admitted degree candidate at Harvard College, Harvard Extension School, or at a Harvard graduate or professional school.
Meeting the Requirement
To meet the English proficiency requirement for registration, you must provide one of the following satisfactory transcripts or satisfactory test scores by the English proficiency deadline.
Submit an official transcript, or a copy of an official transcript, showing completion of a high school diploma, an undergraduate degree (bachelor’s), or a graduate degree (master’s or PhD) at a school, college, or university in the United States, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand, at which English is the sole language of instruction.
- Transcripts must indicate completion of high school, a three- or four-year bachelor’s degree, or a graduate degree (master’s or PhD). Degrees in progress will not be considered.
- Transcripts must show at least one year of study and graduation from a campus located in one of these six countries mentioned above.
- Transcripts from schools whose language of instruction is English but are not physically located in one of the six approved countries are ineligible.
Students who do not have a satisfactory transcript must meet the English proficiency requirement with a satisfactory test score instead.
Satisfactory Test Scores
Provide the minimum approved score on the TOEFL, IELTS Academic, or PTEA. Take the test well before registration begins to ensure that your score is received by the English proficiency deadline.
Scores must be no more than two years old.
|Test||Minimum Approved Score|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)*||
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS), Academic||
|Pearson Test of English Academic (PTEA)||
*Please note we do not accept the Institutional TOEFL (also known as the TOEFL ITP) nor the MyBest TOEFL scores as proof of English proficiency.
Students who have neither a satisfactory transcript nor a satisfactory test score must schedule a qualifying English proficiency test and submit an up-to-date satisfactory test score in order to qualify to take Harvard Extension School courses.
Submission of Scores and Transcripts
- Upload copies of your transcripts in online services using the “Document Management” page.
- Send your official transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
ATTN: English Proficiency
Office of Enrollment Management
Harvard Extension School
51 Brattle Street, Room 602
Cambridge, MA 02138
- Have your official score sent electronically to the Harvard Extension School Registrar’s Office. For the TOEFL, use institution code: 3458. IELTS and PTEA do not require a specific code. You simply choose Harvard Extension School as the designated recipient.
- You may also upload a copy of your score report in online services using the “Document Management” page.
To see if we have received your electronic scores, log in to online services and select "Placement Tests," then "View Placement Test Scores."
If your score has been received and posted by the Office of Enrollment Management, you will see an option for "English Proficiency Tests" after selecting "View Placement Test Scores."
Registration and Deadlines
You must meet the English proficiency requirement prior to registering for course(s).
You must also meet the English proficiency requirement before attempting the Test of Critical Reading and Writing Skills (CRWS) if you plan to register for a course with this prerequisite.
All transcripts and scores must be submitted by the following deadlines:
- Fall term: August 22
- January session: December 19
- Spring term: January 16
We encourage you to submit documents prior to the start of registration.
Honesty in all communications, including self-representation of native language, is a requirement of student enrollment. Submission of fraudulent information is subject to review by the Administrative Board and may be grounds for disciplinary action. See Student Conduct for more information.
Considering an Extension School Degree Program?
Meeting the English proficiency requirement does not guarantee admission eligibility. Refer to Degree Program Admissions for more information.
Please contact Enrollment Services at (617) 495-4024 or email email@example.com.