Class Participant Library Cards

If you are a registered student at the Extension School, you are eligible for a class participant library card that allows you on-campus access and borrowing privileges at Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) libraries during the terms in which you are registered. Class participant library cards provide privileges only at FAS libraries; they do not provide access to other Harvard University facilities or resources.

How to Obtain a Class Participant Library Card

Registered students may visit the Campus Service Center to have their photo taken and card printed in person during business hours. The Campus Service Center is open Monday through Friday, 8 am-5 pm, excluding University holidays.

To receive a card, you must:

  • Be registered in one or more courses for the current term.
  • Have an active Harvard ID number (HUID). The Registrar's Office will notify you by email when your HUID is assigned and active each term (generally one business day after you register for courses).
  • Not already have an active Harvard ID card. If you already have an active Harvard ID card (e.g., you are an Extension School degree candidate or premedical program participant, Harvard employee, Library Borrower card holder, or active POI card holder such as contractor, consultant, security, tenant, partner, or family member), you are not eligible for a class participant library card. Your class participant library access will exist on your current card.
  • Visit the Campus Service Center in person during business hours. Cards cannot be mailed or distributed to third parties.
  • Present a government-issued photo ID that includes full name, date of birth, a photo, and an expiration date in the future. This validation is a Harvard University security requirement. You will not be able to pick up your card without this documentation. The full legal name and date of birth on your government-issued photo ID must match exactly the name and date of birth on your student record as it appears in online services. If they do not, submit a biographical information changes form at least one week before you plan on getting your card. The Campus Service Center will not issue you a card if this information does not match.

Replacement Cards

Lost cards can be replaced by visiting the Campus Service Center. You may also deactivate your card before visiting the Campus Service Center by using the "Lost Card" feature in the Harvard ID Card Web Application. A $25 fee payable by cash or check is charged for each replacement card.

Stolen cards must be reported first to the Harvard University Police Department (617-495-1212), then to the Campus Service Center. The replacement fee will be waived for stolen cards if you provide a copy of the police report.

Broken cards should be taken to the Campus Service Center. Staff will assist you and replace your card if necessary. There is no charge for replacement of broken cards. However, there is a $25 replacement cost for cards the Campus Service Center determines are intentionally damaged.

Card Expiration

Your card will remain active through the end of the term, as long as you remain registered in at least one course. After the term ends, we ask that you retain your card, as it will reactivate if you register again in future semesters. Failure to retain your card will result in a replacement card fee.


Please contact us at