Software Engineering Certificate
The Software Engineering Certificate will no longer be awarded after the Harvard Summer School 2020 session. Questions? Please contact the certificate office at
Become a more versatile software engineer by strengthening your technique and deepening your understanding of high-level languages and systems programming.
Key learning outcomes
- Master the art of programming, including abstraction, algorithms, data structures, and web development.
- Understand software engineering fundamentals, including functional and object-oriented styles of programming and computation models.
- Apply core tenets of computer systems programming, machine organization, and performance tuning, such as program optimization, memory hierarchy, caching, concurrency, and networking.
- Design readable, maintainable, efficient, and elegant large programs.
No application is required. You simply register for graduate courses during our fall, spring, or summer registration periods.
Earning the Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete four certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
The professional graduate certificate in Software Engineering requires four courses:
Principles of Software Engineering courses (choose any two courses from select group)
Electives (choose any two courses from select group)
Prior knowledge in computer science and programming languages, such as Java, C/C++, or Unix, is required for success in this certificate. If you have no background, it is recommended that you pursue the programming certificate.