Digital Storytelling Graduate Certificate
Learn how to produce and distribute journalistic content through engaging, innovative digital formats. Through this professional graduate certificate you will gain the skills you need to develop or enhance a career in the fields of journalism, marketing, or digital communication. Discover new methods of research, writing, editing, and digital technologies.
Key learning outcomes
- Learn the fundamentals of journalism, including interviewing, reporting, and crafting a narrative.
- Gain an understanding of trends in the field of journalism such as photojournalism, media mashups, freelancing, and journalistic branding.
- Develop technical skills for the development and dissemination of content for digital production, including photography, video production, audio recording, and visualizations.
- Uncover new ways of telling stories via social media, podcasting, and other digital platforms.
No application is required. You simply register for courses during our fall, spring, or summer registration periods.
Earning the Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete 16 certificate credits at the graduate level.
- This can be accomplished by completing three 4-credit certificate courses and two 2-credit certificate courses, or four 4-credit certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
The professional graduate certificate in digital storytelling requires four courses or 16 credits.
You may choose from the following course groups, using the certificate course search.
- Journalism (choose two courses from select group)
- Digital Communication (choose two courses from select group)
Courses taken before the 2018-2019 academic year do not apply toward this certificate.