Learn to identify, compile, analyze, and communicate complex biological and genetic data for initiatives in areas such as human genome analysis, disease research, and drug discovery and development. Through this professional graduate certificate, you can enhance a career in medical science and research, genetics, molecular and cellular biology, scientific programming, or software development.
Key learning outcomes
- Understand the latest bioinformatics tools and topics, such as information DNA sequencing and assembly; BLAST output; probability and statistics; sequence alignment; ORF prediction; functional genomics; phylogenetics; sequence, gene, and protein databases; and social and ethical considerations.
- Enhance skills in computer science and programming through use of algorithms, data structures, string manipulation, encapsulation, resource management, security, software engineering, and web development.
- Develop competency with programming languages such as Java, Python, R, C++, and SQL.
- Acquire knowledge in a focused topic area, such as bioinformatic algorithms, genomics, medical informatics, and proteomics.
No application is required. You simply register for graduate courses during our fall, spring, or summer registration periods.
Earning the Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete the four certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
Certificate Course Requirements
- 1 molecular biology course* (this should be your first course)
- 1 introduction to bioinformatics course
- 1 programming course*
- 1 elective course
* Petitioning for course exemptions:
- Molecular biology course: If you earned a bachelor’s or advanced degree in biology, you may petition to be exempted from this course. We will not grant exemptions for a minor in biology. If granted an exemption, you will take a second elective to complete the certificate.
- Programming course: If you have taken a course in Java, Python, or another programming language, you may petition to be exempted from this course. If granted an exemption, you will take a second elective to complete the certificate.
- To petition for an exemption, email firstname.lastname@example.org. The petition should include:
- A short explanation about the exemption being requested and why.
- Evidence of degree or course, such as a scanned copy of a transcript (unofficial is acceptable).
- Indication of which additional elective you plan to take in place of the exempted requirement.