How to Apply to the Premedical Program
Who is Eligible
Admission to the Premedical Program is selective. In evaluating your application, we attempt to be holistic and take many factors into consideration. These include, but are not limited to, experiences that indicate you are making an informed decision about your career choice and are capable of working to the academic standards of Harvard. Although there is no minimum GPA, it is unlikely that applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 will be accepted.
To be considered for the Premedical Program, you must:
- Have already completed a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Graduating college seniors are not eligible to apply. If you will earn your undergraduate degree in May 2020, for example, you'll need to apply next year, February 2021.
- Be able to demonstrate achievement in your past academic pursuits and an interest in the healthcare field.
- Be in good academic and financial standing with Harvard University, with no disciplinary or administrative procedures pending (applies to current or former students only).
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident. We are not able to accept international students.
- Prove English proficiency. If your native language is not English and you have not earned a high school, bachelor’s, or graduate degree (master’s or doctorate) from a college or university in the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, or United Kingdom, you’ll need to submit a satisfactory English proficiency test score. Read more about the English Proficiency Requirement for Registration and review the list of acceptable exams and scores.
When to Apply
You should apply to the Premedical Program at least a year before applying to medical or dental school.
We accept applications each year between February 1 and May 1 or until the program has reached capacity. Because we accept students on a rolling basis, the program often fills well before the May 1 deadline, so we strongly recommend you apply as early as possible.
How to Apply
A complete application includes the following:
- Online application. Beginning February 1, you can access the application by clicking on this link to open the Premedical Program Application Portal. A nonrefundable $50 application processing fee is required to submit the application.
- Essay. The online application requires an essay of no more than 500 words addressing the following question: Why do you want to prepare for a career in the medical field?
- Résumé. Upload a current resume to the online application that includes all your work experience, including volunteer jobs, with dates. Also include any research you have done or research positions you have held, with dates.
- Transcripts. We require an official transcript from each college or university in which you have enrolled for credit, including those from which you have earned a degree. Note: To be eligible to apply, your degree must be awarded, not pending. If you earned a degree outside the United States, you must have your official transcript(s) evaluated by the Center for Educational Documentation (CED). The CED should send an electronic copy of your general evaluation directly to the Premedical Program Office. See our guidelines for verifying international credits for more information. We accept electronic transcripts, but only if they are sent from the institution or the institution’s transcript service directly to email@example.com.
Mailing Transcripts (if necessary)
If transcripts must be mailed via post because your college or university does not offer electronic delivery, they should be sent to the Premedical Program Office, Harvard Extension School, 51 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138.
- Do not open envelopes addressed to you that contain official copies of documents. Mail them unopened in a larger envelope.
- All mailed materials must be received in the Premedical Program Office by the last date of the application cycle.
Materials are accepted in and processed by the office during regular business hours, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm Eastern Standard Time.
Students are informed of their acceptance to the program on a rolling basis through the online application portal and must accept or decline their offers by June 1; otherwise, their offers will be rescinded.
Program or Application Questions?
Contact the Premedical Program Office at (617) 495-2926 or firstname.lastname@example.org.