Academic Standing

You must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be considered in good academic standing. If your GPA falls below 3.0, you are in poor academic standing until it is raised to at least a 3.0. If you remain in poor academic standing for two terms, you will be required to withdraw from the program.

You need to complete at least two-thirds of your attempted Harvard credits to make satisfactory progress in the program. If you are in poor academic standing or not making satisfactory progress, you are ineligible for financial aid. If you are receiving financial aid, be sure to speak with a financial aid advisor before withdrawing from any course. Even one WD grade can affect your eligibility to receive aid.

Grade-point average calculation

All Harvard grades are included in grade-point average calculation. The first two grades of withdrawal (WD) are not included in the calculation of the cumulative grade-point average, but the third and subsequent WD grades count as zeroes.

Ordinarily, registration in a course—not the course’s credit value—determines the instance of a WD grade. For example, if you register for an 8-credit course and withdraw from it, you would earn one WD grade. An exception to this policy is if one subject has two separate lecture and lab registrations and you withdraw from them both in the same term, in which case you would earn only one WD grade; however, if you withdraw from only the lab or course, you are held to the policy and would earn one WD grade.

See Grades for the values used in the calculation.