Psychology Degree Program
Examine the science of psychology and gain an understanding of human behavior. In the master’s program in psychology you explore core theories and the latest research, gaining insights into how human beings think, feel, behave, and navigate their social world.
Key learning outcomes
Through the degree in the field of psychology you:
- Develop an enhanced understanding of social science research, human behavior, research designs, scientific outcomes, behavioral science research, quantitative and qualitative methods, and new investigation design.
- Learn to communicate complex psychological knowledge, both orally and in writing, with awareness of the latest field knowledge.
The degree includes 12 courses, with at least three taken on campus.
- Get started. You begin by completing three stipulated degree courses as outlined on the degree requirements page. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While you are completing your third degree course, you submit the admission application. We have application cycles in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you choose from courses offered on campus or online, year round in the fall, spring, or summer. You complete at least three courses on campus.
- Complete your thesis or capstone. If you choose the thesis track, you'll work one-on-one with a thesis director to conduct in-depth research on a topic relevant to your work experience or academic interests, producing publishable quality results. You’ll emerge with a solid understanding of how scholarly research is executed and communicated. If you choose the capstone track, you'll work with a capstone instructor and in community with fellow candidates to bridge science and practice to produce a real-world application grounded in theoretical insight. You'll also write an accompanying paper that provides the scientific background and justification, which will be in the style and caliber of a peer-reviewed academic journal.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, field: Psychology.
Affordability is core to our mission. Our 2019–20 graduate tuition is $2,840 per course. The total tuition cost of earning the degree is approximately $35,000.
There are a number of financial aid options available once you’re admitted to the program.