Finance Degree Program
Gain a solid foundation in the principles of finance, becoming well informed of topics critical to financial planning, implementation, measurement, and investment.
Key learning outcomes
Through the master's degree in the field of finance you:
- Gain an understanding of core elements of organizational finance decisions, including accounting and financial statement analysis, principles of finance, investments, corporate finance, and business evaluations.
- Build advanced knowledge of economic theory, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, international markets, and risk management.
- Develop quantitative and problem-solving skills in resolving complex financial decisions through a local, regional, and global lens.
The degree includes 12 courses, with at least two taken on campus. Weekend on-campus options are available.
- Get started. You begin by completing three stipulated degree courses as outlined on the degree requirements page. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While completing your third degree course, you submit the admission application. We have application cycles in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you choose from courses offered on campus or online, year round in the fall, spring, or summer. You are required to take two courses on campus. Weekend on-campus options available.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, field: Finance.
Affordability is core to our mission. Our 2020–21 graduate tuition is $2,900 per course. The total tuition cost of earning the degree is approximately $35,000.
There are a number of financial aid options available once you’re admitted to the program.
Alternative Admission Pathways
You have the option to complete one of the following credentials as a path to admission:
- Harvard Business School Online CORe: earn the Credential of Readiness, then complete one additional course at Harvard Extension School.
- MITx Micromasters® Program in Statistics and Data Science: earn this micro-credential at MITx, then complete one additional course at Harvard Extension School.