Digital Media Design Degree Program
Develop the skills needed to design engaging and effective digital media, and explore the artistic and technical aspects of creating interactive systems.
Key learning outcomes
Through the graduate program in digital media design you:
- Develop an understanding and application of the latest tools in the communication portfolio, such as web design, video, and still photography.
- Build deeper knowledge of modern production methods and perspective to harness new and emerging technologies.
- Gain experience in applied learning through varied coursework and a capstone.
The degree includes 12 courses, with at least one taken on campus.
- Get started. You begin by completing two stipulated degree courses as outlined on the degree requirements page. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While you are completing your second degree course, you submit the admission application. We have application cycles in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you choose from courses offered on campus or online, year round in the fall, spring, or summer. To fully experience Harvard, you take at least one course on campus. Weekend on-campus options available.
- Complete a capstone project. You'll apply knowledge and skills obtained in the program to produce an innovative digital media prototype, ordinarily in (1) web and mobile applications, (2) animation, film, or virtual reality, (3) instructional design, or (4) emerging media and technology and present it to a faculty committee for artistic and technical critiques.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, field: Digital Media Design.
Affordability is core to our mission. Our 2020–21 graduate tuition is $2,900 per course. The total tuition cost of earning the degree is approximately $35,000.
There are a number of financial aid options available once you’re admitted to the program.