Data Science Degree Program
The data landscape is rapidly changing and transforming nearly every discipline. In the data science degree program, you will develop the skills necessary to analyze, discover, and innovate in a data-rich world. And you’ll gain hands-on experience conducting interdisciplinary data science research.
Key learning outcomes
Through the master’s degree program in data science you:
- Develop an in-depth understanding of data science methods in predictive modeling, data mining, machine learning, artificial intelligence, data visualization, and big data.
- Build the skills to explore, analyze, manage, and visualize large data sets using the latest technologies.
- Apply data science and analytical methods to address data-rich problems from a variety of fields, think critically about data, and drive decision making.
- Develop the skills for quantitative thought leadership, including the ethical and legal dimensions of data analytics, as well as effective communication and collaboration.
This degree includes 12 courses. At least one three-week, precapstone course is taken on campus.
- Get started with two admission courses. You begin by completing two stipulated degree courses as outlined on the degree requirements page. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While you are completing your second admission course, you submit your application. We have application periods in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you choose from courses offered on campus or online, in the fall, spring, or summer. To fully experience Harvard, you take the three-week precapstone course on campus.
- Complete a capstone. You’ll work in teams to apply knowledge and skills gained in the program to a data science research project in collaboration with industry, government, or academic partners. By selecting project ideas from a range of fields and gaining hands-on experience in data science practice, you’ll produce publishable-quality results and present your work to peers and collaborating organizations.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, field: Data Science.
Affordability is core to our mission. Our 2020–21 graduate tuition is $2,900 per course. The total tuition cost of earning the degree is approximately $35,000.
There are a number of financial aid options available once you’re admitted to the data science degree program.
MITx MicroMasters® Program Admissions Pathway
If you have earned the MicroMasters Program credential, you may apply the credential toward admission and complete one additional course at Harvard Extension School. Learn more about the MicroMasters Program pathway