Learn how to apply critical thinking to real-world scenarios in the life sciences while exploring cutting-edge research and theory. You’ll gain deeper insight into a range of biological fields, such as molecular biology, genetics, genomics, cell biology, neurobiology and behavior, and ecology.
Key learning outcomes
Through the master’s degree in the field of biology you:
- Enhance your understanding of the biological sciences, including molecular biology, genetics, genomics, cell biology, physiology, neurobiology and behavior, evolution, and ecology.
- Build a foundation in scientific practice, including experimental or case study design and implementation, scientific data collection and analysis, and ethical practices.
- Develop advanced professional communication skills, with an emphasis on sharing scientific results in written, oral, and graphical forms.
The degree program includes 12 courses, with at least three taken on campus.
- Get started. You begin by completing two stipulated degree courses as outlined on the degree requirements page. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While completing your third degree course, you submit the admission application. We have application cycles in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you choose from courses offered on campus or online, year round in the fall, spring, or summer. To fully experience Harvard, you take at least three courses on campus.
- Complete your thesis. Working with a thesis director, you conduct in-depth research on a topic relevant to your work experience or academic interests, producing publishable quality results. You’ll emerge with a solid understanding of how scientific research is executed and communicated.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) in Extension Studies, field: Biology.
Affordability is core to our mission. Our 2018–19 graduate tuition is $2,750 per course; the total tuition cost of earning the graduate degree is approximately $33,000.
There are a number of financial aid options available once you’re admitted to the program.