Bachelor of Liberal Arts Degree
The Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree is designed for adult professionals with years of work experience who wish to complete their degrees part time, both on campus and online. Our typical student is 30 years old, has previously completed one or two years of college, and works full time.
Key learning outcomes
Through the Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree you gain:
- A well-rounded academic foundation, through a blend of courses in traditional liberal arts fields and focused subject areas, such as business management and administration, computer science, international relations, economics, and psychology.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to convey views and opinions in academic and professional contexts.
- The ability to think critically across a variety of subjects, fostering an informed, independent worldview.
- Membership in a diverse student community of adult learners with years of full-time work experience, providing an enriching learning environment.
- Get started. You begin by completing three stipulated degree courses as outlined on the degree requirements page. This coursework establishes your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While completing your third degree course, you submit the admission application. We have application cycles in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you can choose from courses offered online and on campus, year round in the fall, spring, or summer. To fully experience Harvard, you are required to complete at least 16 credits (roughly four courses) on campus. Intensive three-week and weekend options available.
- Graduate with your Harvard degree. You participate in the annual Harvard Commencement, receiving your Harvard University degree: Bachelor of Liberal Arts (ALB) in Extension Studies.
Affordability is core to our mission. Our 2018–19 undergraduate tuition is $1,700 per 4-credit course (an exception applies to courses in digital media and computer science, for which tuition is $2,750). To keep the path to admission affordable, three specific degree courses are offered for $1,000 each.
At the 2018-19 $1,700 rate, the total tuition cost of earning the full undergraduate degree is $54,400. If you're transferring in 64 credits, the total tuition cost is $27,200.
There are a number of financial aid options available once you’re admitted to the program.
Earn a bachelor's and master's degree
Designed for highly motivated students with a proven track record of success in our Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree program, our Joint Program provides an accelerated pathway to earn both a bachelor’s and master’s degree.