In addition to the CARC reference library and free workshops, the following career services are available to registered Harvard Extension School students.
Drop-in and call-in career counseling
Linda Spencer, assistant director of the Office of Career Services, offers career counseling to all registered Extension School students. She can answer quick questions about career options, cover letters, job search strategies, and interviewing. Want feedback on your résumé? Bring a copy with you or e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
First-come, first-served appointments—about 15 minutes each—are available Mondays from 1 to 4 pm (last appointment at 3:45 pm), September 10 to May 6. No registration is necessary. Just come by the Undergraduate Office, 51 Brattle Street, Room 501, or call (617) 495-9413.
Can’t come to drop-in hours?
Degree candidates and alumni only
The Office of Career Services at Harvard University offer a variety of career services to Harvard Extension School degree candidates and alumni. The following are seven-must-do-steps to make the most of the services:
- Get a quick overview of all OCS career services by listening to Linda Spencer’s three-minute audio presentation: Introduction to OCS and visit the career services overview website.
- Educate yourself about finding a job in a particular field.
- Schedule an individual, 30-minute career counseling appointment with Linda Spencer, through Crimson Careers (see below) .
- Register with Crimson Careers. This database provides a platform of jobs and internships from employers specifically interested in Harvard College, GSAS, and Extension School students. New listings are added daily; the database currently includes hundreds of jobs and internships. Once registered, you can also set-up an appointment with Linda Spencer through the online scheduler.
- Join the OCS-DCE listserv. Every two weeks you will receive information on job and internship postings, CARC workshops, and dozens of University-wide career and graduate school events.
- Every Friday review the OCS calendar for upcoming career and graduate school workshops.
- Once a month review the listing of upcoming industry-specific career fairs in order to network with hiring managers in your field.
On-Campus Interview Program (OCI)
Harvard Extension School 2012–13 graduates are eligible to use the fall 2012 On-Campus Interview Program. OCI brings employers on campus for full-time, first-round job interviews for graduating students. Interviews are held in late September and October. The majority of the employment opportunities are in finance, consulting, and information technology; therefore, the program is not meant to be single source of all employment opportunities. It is one tool among many that you should utilize in your search for jobs and internships. Be sure to take advantage of CARC workshops, OCS workshops, and OCS career fairs.
To participate, you must:
- Have a 3.5 or higher cumulative GPA
- Attend the mandatory orientation on August 29, 5 pm, Office of Career Services, 54 Dunster Street, Cambridge, Mass.
- Meet with Linda Spencer, assistant director, Office of Career Services
- Attend the On-Campus Interview Program fall career fair September 7, 2012, from 1 to 4 pm at the Sheraton Commander Hotel.
For more information, visit the OCI webpage.
Harvard Extension School degree candidate and alumni job fair
Each spring CARC hosts our own Employer Networking Night for Harvard Extension School degree candidates and alumni only. Past participants have included HubSpot, PricewaterhouseCoopers, ESPN, and Pfizer. At this educational and career-focused event you network with 20 companies in an intimate setting to learn about job and internship opportunities. Come prepared with your two-minute pitch and plenty of resumes. Also, be sure to dress for success. For 2013, the date is Thursday, March 28, 5-7 pm. Register through online services, CARC.
Spring job search support group
Join this group to help achieve your goals, overcome obstacles, and stay motivated. The group meets once a week for 1.5 hours, March 27 through May 1, 3:30-5 pm at the Office of Career Services, 54 Dunster Street.
The group is for current degree candidates and alumni who are actively job hunting or about to begin the job search. The success of the group is contingent upon your commitment to supporting others and coming to the majority of the meetings. Attendance at the first session is mandatory. If interested in attending you must register by contacting Linda Spencer, Assistant Director, Office of Career Services, at email@example.com, 617-496-8946. Space is limited, so register early, starting January 1.
Faculty Aide Program
Degree candidates: also see the Faculty Aide Program for paid research positions offered by CARC.