Annual Security and Fire Safety Report Availability

The University is required by federal law (The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, 20 U.S.C. 1092(f), known as the “Clery Act”) to publish an Annual Security Report and an Annual Fire Safety Report. 

The Harvard University Police Department publishes the Annual Security Report, entitled “Playing it Safe,” which includes information about the HUPD, how to report a crime, HUPD’s crime prevention programs, substance abuse, sensitive crimes, emergency notifications, and other important information about security and HUPD services on campus. It also contains three years of statistics on reported campus or campus-related crimes. A hard copy of “Playing it Safe” may be obtained by contacting the Harvard University Police Department at 1033 Massachusetts Avenue, 6th floor, Cambridge, MA 02138, (617) 495-9225.

The Harvard University Environmental Health and Safety Department publishes the Annual Fire Safety Report, which includes fire safety polices, evacuation procedures, and fire statistics. A hard copy of the Annual Fire Safety Report may be obtained by contacting Environmental Health and Safety Department at 46 Blackstone Street, Cambridge, MA 02139, (617) 496-7168.

The Annual Security Report, “Playing it Safe,” is available to read.

The Annual Fire Safety Report is available.

MessageMe emergency text notification

Under the Harvard University Emergency Management Plan, members of the Harvard community may sign up for SMS/text-message alerts, which are sent to subscribers if there is a life-threatening campus- or school-wide emergency. This system operates in parallel with other notification systems, such as Harvard University Police Department announcements and University website announcements.

You are encouraged to sign up for this text-messaging service to facilitate rapid and effective communication if there is a campus emergency. Contact information is private and will not be shared.

To use the service, you must have a mobile phone that is able to receive text messages; regular text-message charges will apply. You can renew the service annually and may unsubscribe at any time.

To sign up, you need your Harvard University ID and PIN. Go to the MessageMe website and provide the requested information. Check the box for “FAS Extension School” to receive all University-wide emergency message alerts, as well as messages sent just to Extension School students.

Weather cancellations

See Severe Weather or Other Emergency for more information.