The following information applies only to currently admitted degree and diploma candidates.
Under Massachusetts law, if you are an active candidate who is registered three-quarter time (12 credits) or more per term, you must participate in a qualifying student health insurance plan or in a health plan with comparable coverage.
All active candidates meeting the above criteria are automatically enrolled in and billed for the Harvard University Student Health Program (HUSHP), which is comprised of two parts:
- Student Health Fee: This fee covers most services at Harvard University Health Services (HUHS), including internal medicine, medical/surgical specialty care, mental health/counseling services, physical therapy, radiology, Stillman Infirmary, and urgent care.
- Student Health Insurance Plan: Provides hospital/specialty care through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts and prescription drug coverage through Medco. Coverage includes emergency room visits, hospitalizations, diagnostic lab/radiology services, ambulatory surgery, specialty care outside HUHS (limited), and prescription drug coverage.
See the HUSHP website for detailed information on policies, benefits, limitations, and exclusions. The health plan is $1,549 per term.
Candidates registered in fewer than 12 credits per term are not eligible to enroll in HUSHP.
- Fall term: Wednesday, August 1, 2012–Thursday, January 31, 2013
- Spring term: Friday, February 1, 2013–Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Newly admitted degree and diploma candidates
If you are registered three-quarter time or more during the term in which you are admitted to your program, you are subject to the health insurance requirement and will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the HUSHP.
If you have alternate coverage that is comparable, you may be eligible to waive HUSHP (see below for deadlines).
Spouses and children are also eligible for coverage if you are enrolled in HUSHP. Dependent enrollment is not automatic and must be renewed each term. To enroll a dependent(s) submit the Student Health Plan Dependent Enrollment Form along with the appropriate documentation and payment to Student Financial Services by the enrollment deadline.
Dependent enrollment deadlines
- Fall term: Sunday, September 30, 2012
- Spring term: Thursday, February 28, 2013
If you have comparable health insurance coverage, you may waive HUSHP. All waivers must be completed through Extension School online services before the waiver deadlines (see below).
Late waivers will be accepted for two months following the waiver deadline and will be subject to late fees (learn more).
Students registered in distance courses
If all your courses are distance education courses (online option, online only, or web conference), you are not required to participate in HUSHP or an alternate plan of comparable coverage. You must waive coverage by the above deadlines if you do not wish to participate.
Dropping below three-quarter time
If you drop below three-quarter time, your HUSHP coverage will be canceled on:
- Sunday, September 30, 2012, for the fall term
- Thursday, February 28, 2013, for the spring term
Charges will be prorated from the beginning of the coverage period, August 1, for the fall term and February 1 for the spring term.
All covered dependents’ policies will be canceled on the same date as the student’s policy.
Harvard University Health Services reserves the right to bill for any services provided when the HUSHP coverage was not in effect.
For complete coverage information, see the HUSHP website.
Harvard University Health Services Office
75 Mt. Auburn Street, Floor 1
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: (617) 495-2008