If you have not been admitted to a degree or premedical program, you are not eligible to receive federal or state aid. However, some limited scholarships funds are available to support your education at Harvard Extension School.

International students. Federal, state, and institutional financial aid is available only if you are a US citizen or eligible noncitizen. You may be eligible to borrow a private student loan through a lender of your choice with a US citizen as co-signer.


Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Scholarships

The Extension School awards a limited number of PTK Scholarships to community college graduates who wish to join the Bachelor of Liberal Arts Program. You are eligible to apply if you are a PTK member who has earned an associate degree with a cumulative grade-point average of 3.5 or higher.

Awards are based on the following:

  • Scholarship application essays
  • Past academic performance
  • Interviews
  • Financial need

Preference is given to liberal arts graduates. The scholarship covers the tuition for the three undergraduate admission courses required for admission to the ALB program.

To apply for a PTK Scholarship, complete the following by June 1 for fall and October 1 for spring:

Student Financial Services may ask you to submit additional supporting documentation (e.g., proof of citizenship or verification worksheet) before your application is considered complete. Student Financial Services will contact you if additional documents are required.

If you are a scholarship recipient and you do not complete the admission courses in the initial award year, you must submit a new financial aid application to receive the remaining PTK scholarship funds for a subsequent academic year.

Lowell Scholarships

Lowell Scholarships enable middle- and high-school teachers and high-school students in Boston-area schools to take one Extension School course per term (fall and spring) at half the regular tuition rate (for undergraduate or graduate credit only). The number of scholarships is limited, so teachers and students should apply early in the registration period. Scholarships cannot be used for January session or summer courses.

To apply for a Lowell Teachers Scholarship, submit the following with the course registration form:

The scholarship form must be signed by the school principal and must include the principal’s phone number.

Lowell Scholarships cannot be used for internships, independent studies, practicums, master’s theses, or capstone projects, nor can they be combined with any other scholarships. For more information, call (617) 495-4293.

To apply for a Lowell Students Scholarship: register for a course online, pay in full, and send both the Lowell Student Scholarship form and your recent transcript to Attention: Rita Pandey, at 51 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138. You will receive a refund if your scholarship is approved. See Refunds for more information.

If you prefer to register with the course registration form, send it along with 50 percent of the course tuition, the $50 nonrefundable registration fee, the Lowell Student Scholarship form, and your recent transcript to Attention: Rita Pandey, at 51 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138.

If you have already registered for a course and are a scholarship recipient who has paid in full, you will receive a refund once the scholarship funds have been applied to your student account. See Refunds for more information.

If you have questions, please call the Secondary School Program office, (617) 495-3192.

Community Scholarships

A limited number of scholarships are available for Cambridge Rindge and Latin students, Cambridge city employees, and Allston-Brighton residents. Scholarships cannot be used for January session courses.

Cambridge Rindge and Latin students. A limited number of tuition scholarships are awarded to eligible students who are in the Community-Based Learning Program at the Cambridge Rindge and Latin School. For information call (617) 998-8516.

Allston-Brighton residents. The Allston-Brighton Community Scholarships cover tuition for any course taken for noncredit, undergraduate, or graduate credit by residents of Allston and Brighton. Five scholars are chosen each term by the Allston Civic Association.

The Allston-Brighton English Language Scholarships cover full tuition for 1 course in the Institute for English Language Programs. Fifteen residents of Allston-Brighton are selected each term.

For information about these scholarships, call the Honan Library, the Allston branch of the Boston Public Library, (617) 787-6313.

Cambridge city employees. The Leonard J. Russell Scholarship covers tuition for one Graduate Program in Management course for up to three City of Cambridge employees each term. Interested Cambridge employees may download an application and submit it to Student Financial Services at 51 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA, 02138.

Private student loans for nonadmitted students

You may consider applying for a credit-based private student loan to assist you in financing the courses required for admission to a program. Certification of private student loans is based on the cost of attendance for your enrollment and is limited for nonadmitted students to a maximum of three semesters, not to exceed $25,000.

Private student loans are primarily intended to cover tuition and fees, books and transportation, and are designed to be a supplement to your other financial resources. They may not be certified for students who are not in good academic standing.

To apply, you must:

  1. Complete the lender’s loan application using the school code: 00215503
  2. Receive approval following a credit check and data verification by the lender
  3. Complete a request for private loan certification form (see Forms) and submit it to Student Financial Services
  4. Receive confirmation from Student Financial Services regarding the loan amount that will be certified

The loan certification process may take up to two weeks. Additional processing time may be required by your lender. To use private student loan funds to register, you must have all of the above application items completed by the first day of classes. If you do not have a loan certified by the first day of classes, you will need to make other payment arrangements to register. You should review your student account in online services to determine if your loan has been certified by Student Financial Services. If a loan has been certified, the funds appear as either an account credit or an anticipated credit, which allows you to register without using another form of payment. You should also review the lender notification regarding the disbursement of your loan funds to Student Financial Services.

Student Financial Services certifies the following for your lender:

  • Your enrollment plans
  • That the amount you requested fits within the standard cost of attendance for your planned enrollment

When determining the cost of attendance for students enrolling half time or more (at least 8 credits per term for the fall or spring), Student Financial Services considers the following expenses:

  • Tuition and registration fee
  • Housing and food
  • Books and supplies
  • Personal
  • Transportation

When determining the cost of attendance for students enrolling less than half time (6 credits or fewer per term for the fall or spring), Student Financial Services considers only the following expenses:

  • Tuition and registration fee
  • Books and supplies
  • Transportation

If Student Financial Services has certified a private student loan for you and you change your enrollment, all or a portion of the loan funds may need to be returned to your lender.

Other sources of funding

In addition, also check the following sources of funding on Payment Methods:

  • Harvard University Tuition Assistance Plan (TAP)
  • Veterans Administration benefits