As a Harvard Extension School student, you have two sets of identification (ID) numbers and associated personal identification numbers (PINs).
DCE ID number and PIN
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) encompasses Harvard Extension School and Harvard Summer School. Your DCE ID number and DCE PIN are issued by DCE to provide access to online services for both schools.
You can use online services to complete the following tasks:
- Register for courses, check your schedule, and make course changes
- Make payments
- View your grades
- Evaluate your courses
- Update your contact information (e-mail and postal addresses, telephone numbers)
- View your Harvard ID number and other personal information
Your DCE ID number begins with the “@” symbol and is assigned the first time you log in to Extension or Summer School online services. If you do not know your DCE ID number, you may reset it from the online services login page or visit our Information Services lobby at 51 Brattle Street with a government-issued photo ID.
A DCE PIN is assigned to you the first time you register for Extension School or Summer School courses. You may change your DCE PIN online. If you do not know it, you may request it from the online services login page.
Harvard ID number and PIN
All registered students are also eligible for a Harvard ID number (HUID) and PIN. Harvard ID numbers and PINs are issued by the central Harvard University ID and PIN system. Together they provide access to the following:
- Password-protected distance education videos
- Most password-protected course websites
- Links to live web-conference courses
- Extension School portal pages
- Harvard computer accounts
- Harvard library electronic resources
- Extension and Summer School online services (described above; once you have a Harvard ID number and PIN you may discontinue use of your DCE ID and PIN and use the Harvard PIN System button under “Login with Harvard ID and Harvard PIN” on the login page)
Obtaining your Harvard ID number and PIN
- If you are new to Harvard, your Harvard ID number is generally assigned within two business days after you register.
- To see your Harvard ID number, log in to online services and select “Student Information and Status.”
- Once you have your Harvard ID number, you need to obtain a Harvard PIN via the Harvard PIN System. If you have trouble requesting or receiving a PIN via e-mail, call Information Services, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, at (617) 495-4024, or write to firstname.lastname@example.org from the e-mail address in your Harvard Extension School record.
You should learn your Harvard ID number and request a Harvard PIN well in advance of the start of classes to ensure you have access to the resources you need when classes begin.