With more communication and commerce being conducted online than ever before, the web provides incredible opportunities for developers. Web developers play a central role in building dynamic websites and applications that deliver content in a variety of formats for multiple devices.
Demonstrate your ability to solve problems, contribute ideas, and offer solutions by earning a professional graduate certificate in web technologies.
This certificate requires five courses.
What will I learn?
You will gain understanding, knowledge, and fluency in:
- Designing, coding, publishing, marketing, and monetization of mobile apps and games using cross-platform tools.
- Core concepts of information management, such as data models, database management systems, unstructured and semistructured data management, or parallel and distributed databases.
Is this right for me?
This professional graduate certificate is for individuals currently working in or working toward deepening their skills and expertise for these types of roles:
- Web designer
- Web developer
- Mobile developer
- Web DBA
- Web analyst
You take five courses to obtain a professional graduate certificate in web technologies.
Choose five courses:
- CSCI E-12 Fundamentals of Website Development | online
- CSCI E-15 Dynamic Web Applications | online
- CSCI E-18 Web Development Using XML | online
- CSCI E-33 Programming Microsoft .NET | online
- CSCI E-34 User Experience Engineering | online
- CSCI E-56 Web Application Development with Groovy and Grails | online
- CSCI E-60 Developing Web-Based Database Applications | online
- CSCI E-64 Mobile and Cloud Computing | online
- CSCI E-66 Database Systems | online
- DGMD E-25 Introduction to Web Content Management Systems Site Development | online
- DGMD E-27 Beyond the Basics of Front-End Web Design
Earning the certificate
No application is required. Simply choose the courses you’d like to take first and register for graduate credit. Most students take one or two courses a term.
Will all the courses listed be offered every year?
The required courses are offered, but the elective offerings do change slightly from year to year due to instructor availability and new offerings.
- Take all courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B in all courses.
- Complete all courses within three years.
Monitor your progress
You may monitor your progress by logging in to online services and choosing the Certificate Course Tracker and Request Form. This form will confirm the courses that count toward the certificate, the courses for which you are currently registered, and the courses that you’ve completed.
Requesting the certificate
When you have completed the final certificate course with the required grade, you may request your certificate by logging in to online services and completing the Certificate Course Tracker and Request Form. Be sure to request the certificate within 30 days of when grades are posted online (see calendar for dates).
After your request is reviewed and approved, you will receive an e-mail with a link to your electronic certificate, which you may print. Also, certificates, printed on parchment paper and suitable for framing, are mailed out at the end of the fall, spring, and summer terms.
The certificate will state:
Harvard University, Harvard Extension School awarded [Your Name] a five course professional graduate-level certificate in web technologies.
The certificate, along with the courses and the grades, are noted on your official Harvard Extension School transcript.
Considering a master's degree?
This is a standalone credential, but you may be able to count some or all the certificate courses toward the Information Technology Graduate Program depending on the concentration or track you choose. Visit the degree course search to find out how certificate courses apply toward the degree.
If you want to earn the master’s degree, apply to the degree program first, and earn the certificate along the way. If you prefer to leave your options open, keep degree program requirements in mind as you begin to take courses. For either the certificate or degree, you can start out with one course, then decide.