With more than 7.1 billion people on the planet, climate change dominating the headlines, and growing scarcity of natural resources, there is strong need for individuals and organizations to design and implement sound sustainability and environmental management solutions.
Demonstrate your ability to solve problems, contribute ideas, and offer solutions by earning a professional graduate certificate in sustainability.
What will I learn?
You will gain understanding, knowledge, and fluency in:
- The benefits of conventional and renewable energy systems, issues surrounding new transportation technologies, energy intensity of food production, effects of supply chain management and international commerce in energy security, energy management in buildings, and the mechanisms needed to evolve into sustainable energy operations.
- Sustainability management at the nexus of a local business, local government, and community as well as use of management systems and performance frameworks.
- Focused subject areas, such as environmental economics, greenhouse emissions management, sustainable building design, sustainable supply chain management, environmental toxicology, or risk management.
Is this right for me?
This professional graduate certificate is for individuals currently working in or aiming to deepen their skills and expertise for these types of roles:
- Sustainability officer
- Construction project manager
- Urban planner
- Procurement officer
- Supply chain manager
- LEED professional
- Transportation officer
- Building project manager
- Wastewater and sanitation
Knowledge-set courses (choose two):
- ENVR E-102 Energy and the Environment | online
- ENVR E-105 Strategies for Sustainability Management | online
- ENVR E-118 Environmental Management of International Tourism Development | online
- ENVR E-129 From Farm to Fork: Why What You Eat Matters | online
- ENVR E-135 Corporate Sustainability Strategy | online
- ENVR E-147 International Environmental Governance, Policy, and Social Justice | online
- ENVR E-157 Sustainable Business and Technology | online
- ENVR E-162 US Environmental Law and Sustainability | online
- ENVR E-166 Water Resources Policy and Watershed Management | online
- ENVR E-172 Technology, Globalization, and Sustainable Development
Skill-set courses (choose three):
- ECON E-1661 Environmental Economics
- ENVR E-116 Measure, Report, Reduce: Practical Methods for Greenhouse Gas Emissions Management | online
- ENVR E-117 Hybrid: Catalyzing Change—Sustainability Leadership for the Twenty-First Century | hybrid
- ENVR E-119 Introduction to Sustainable Buildings: Design and Construction | online
- ENVR E-137 Sustainable Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management Operations | online
- ENVR E-151 Life Cycle and Supply Chain Sustainability Assessment | online
- ENVR E-153 Social Responsibility in Product Supply Chains | online
- ENVR E-154 Sustainable Product Design and the Innovation Ecosystem | online
- ENVR E-158 Industrial Ecology: Concepts and Practice | online
- ENVR E-159 Environmental Toxicology and Risk Management | online
- ENVR E-170 Environmental Impact Assessment for Sustainable Programs
- ENVR E-175 International Development of Sustainable Economies | online
Earning the certificate
No application is required. Simply choose the courses you’d like to take first and register for graduate credit. Most students take one or two courses a term.
Will all the courses listed be offered every year?
The required courses are offered, but the elective offerings do change slightly from year to year due to instructor availability and new offerings.
- Take all courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B in all courses.
- Complete all courses within three years.
Monitor your progress
You may monitor your progress by logging in to online services and choosing the Certificate Course Tracker and Request Form. This form will confirm the courses that count toward the certificate, the courses for which you are currently registered, and the courses that you’ve completed.
Requesting the certificate
When you have completed the final certificate course with the required grade, you may request your certificate by logging in to online services and completing the Certificate Course Tracker and Request Form. Be sure to request the certificate within thirty days of when grades are posted online (see calendar for dates).
After your request is reviewed and approved, you will receive an e-mail with a link to your electronic certificate, which you may print. Also, certificates will be printed on parchment paper that are suitable for framing, and are mailed out at the end of the fall, spring, and summer terms.
The certificate will state:
Harvard University, Harvard Extension School awarded [Your Name] a five course professional graduate-level certificate in sustainability.
The certificate, along with the courses and the grades, are noted on your official Harvard Extension School transcript.
Considering a master's degree?
You can count the certificate courses toward a degree in the Sustainability and Environmental Management Graduate Program. Find out how certificate courses apply toward the degree by using the degree course search.