To help contribute to the big picture at an organization, managers must possess a solid foundation in strategy and develop an understanding of internal and external resources and contexts to inform decision making in today's competitive global marketplace.
Demonstrate your ability to solve problems, contribute ideas, and offer solutions by earning a professional graduate certificate in strategic management.
What will I learn?
You will gain understanding, knowledge, and fluency in:
- The concept of strategic management, including understanding the basic direction and goals of an organization, the environment (social, political, technological, economic, and global factors), industry and market structure, and organizational strengths and weaknesses.
- Essentials of managing a business in a global economy, such as corporate responsibility and ethics, organizational efficiency, marketing, human relations, or decision-making frameworks used when competing strategic priorities and objectives are at play.
- Focused subject areas, such as corporate sustainability strategy, human resource management, strategic resource allocation and planning, crisis management and preparation, or marketing management.
Is this right for me?
This professional graduate certificate is for individuals currently working in or aiming to deepen their skills and expertise for these types of roles:
- Business manager
- Marketing manager
- Nonprofit manager
- Brand manager
- Small business owner
- Startup manager
- Project manager
Choose four of the following courses:
- ECON E-1005 Foundations of Real-World Economics | online
- ECON E-1476 Hybrid: International Corporate Governance—Economic Theory in Practice | hybrid
- ECON E-1600 Economics of Business | online
- ECON E-1620 Organizations, Management Behavior, and Economics | online
- MGMT E-4000 Organizational Behavior | online and hybrid | placement test required
- MGMT E-4100 Hybrid: Managing Yourself and Others | hybrid | placement test required
- MGMT E-4170 Managing Virtual Teams | online
- MGMT E-4182 Hybrid: Modern Dilemmas in the Corporation in the Twenty-First Century | hybrid
- MGMT E-4240 Human Resource Management | online
- MGMT E-5002 Applied Strategy in the Real World
- MGMT E-5005 Corporate Strategy | online
- MGMT E-5030 Project Management | online
- MGMT E-5040 Project Management of Information Technology
- MGMT E-5050 Strategic Resource Allocation and Planning
- MGMT E-5060 Operations Management
- MGMT E-5061 Managing Service Design and Operations | online
- MGMT E-5064 Hybrid: Business, Government, and Society—Understanding Nonmarket Strategies | hybrid
- MGMT E-5090 Crisis Management and Emergency Preparedness | online
- MGMT E-5100 Essentials of Management | online
- MGMT E-6000 Marketing Management | online
- MGMT E-6650 Digital Marketing Strategy | online
Earning the certificate
No application is required. Simply choose the courses you’d like to take first and register for graduate credit. Most students take one or two courses a term.
Will all the courses listed be offered every year?
The required courses are offered, but the elective offerings do change slightly from year to year due to instructor availability and new offerings.
- Take all courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B in all courses.
- Complete all courses within three years.
Monitor your progress
You may monitor your progress by logging in to online services and choosing the Certificate Course Tracker and Request Form. This form will confirm the courses that count toward the certificate, the courses for which you are currently registered, and the courses that you’ve completed.
Requesting the certificate
When you have completed the final certificate course with the required grade, you may request your certificate by logging in to online services and completing the Certificate Course Tracker and Request Form. Be sure to request the certificate within thirty days of when grades are posted online (see calendar for dates).
After your request is reviewed and approved, you will receive an e-mail with a link to your electronic certificate, which you may print. Also, certificates will be printed on parchment paper that are suitable for framing, and are mailed out at the end of the fall, spring, and summer terms.
The certificate will state:
Harvard University, Harvard Extension School awarded [Your Name] a five course professional graduate-level certificate in strategic management.
The certificate, along with the courses and the grades, are noted on your official Harvard Extension School transcript.
Considering a master's degree?
You can count the certificate courses toward a degree in the Management Graduate Program. Find out how certificate courses apply toward the degree by using the degree course search.