Modern software design requires engineers to understand high-level languages, systems programming, techniques, and theory.
Demonstrate your ability to solve problems, contribute ideas, and offer solutions by earning a professional graduate certificate in software engineering.
What will I learn?
You will gain understanding, knowledge, and fluency in:
- The art of programming, including abstraction, algorithms, data structures, and web development.
- Software engineering fundamentals, such as functional and object-oriented styles of programming and models of computation.
- Core tenets of computer systems programming, machine organization, and performance tuning, such as program optimization, memory hierarchy, caching, concurrency, and networking.
- How to design large programs to make them readable, maintainable, efficient, and elegant.
Is this right for me?
This professional graduate certificate is for individuals currently working in or working toward deepening their skills and expertise for these types of roles:
- Application developer
- Database administrator
- Software analyst
- Software engineer
- Mobile application developer
One of the following courses:
Two of the following courses:
- CSCI E-33 Programming Microsoft .NET | online
- CSCI E-97 Software Design: Principles, Models, and Patterns | online
- CSCI E-98 Managed Environments for the Execution of Programs | online
- CSCI E-124 Data Structures and Algorithms | online
- CSCI E-152 Programming Languages | online
Earning the certificate
No application is required. Simply choose the courses you’d like to take first and register for graduate credit. Most students take one or two courses a term.
Will all the courses listed be offered every year?
The required courses are offered, but the elective offerings do change slightly from year to year due to instructor availability and new offerings.
- Take all courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B in all courses.
- Complete all courses within three years.
Monitor your progress
You may monitor your progress by logging in to online services and choosing the Certificate Course Tracker and Request Form. This form will confirm the courses that count toward the certificate, the courses for which you are currently registered, and the courses that you’ve completed.
Requesting the certificate
When you have completed the final certificate course with the required grade, you may request your certificate by logging in to online services and completing the Certificate Course Tracker and Request Form. Be sure to request the certificate within thirty days of when grades are posted online (see calendar for dates).
After your request is reviewed and approved, you will receive an e-mail with a link to your electronic certificate, which you may print. Also, certificates will be printed on parchment paper that are suitable for framing, and are mailed out at the end of the fall, spring, and summer terms.
The certificate will state:
Harvard University, Harvard Extension School awarded [Your Name] a five course professional graduate-level certificate in software engineering.
The certificate, along with the courses and the grades, are noted on your official Harvard Extension School transcript.
Considering a master's degree?
You can count the certificate courses toward a degree in the Information Technology Graduate Program. Find out how certificate courses apply toward the degree by using the degree course search.