Once you register and classes begin, you can access weekly videos on your course website (linked in the list of online courses). You interact and discuss class topics through online media. Lecture one videos are available to the public during the first week of classes.
Technical requirements and log-in instructions
1. Install software for viewing videos and class materials.
Download and install the following software.
2. Verify you have the appropriate computer platform, Internet connection, and browser preferences.
- Platforms: Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, and Macintosh systems running OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and higher.
- Connections: A cable modem, DSL, or T1 Internet connection is required for optimal performance. A minimum reliable 56 kbps dial-up modem is required (56 kbps is useful only for the audio-only stream).
- Windows browsers: Internet Explorer 8 and higher, Firefox 17.0 and higher, and Chrome 21.0 and higher.
- Mac browsers: Safari 5.0 and higher and Firefox 17.0 and higher.
- Browser preferences should be set to allow pop-up windows from *.dce.harvard.edu. For Safari, set the browser to allow all pop-ups while viewing lectures.
We do not support:
- Beta versions of any software
- Viewing via mobile devices
3. Watch weekly videos.
Once you have registered and classes begin:
- Visit your course website (linked in the list of online courses). You may want to bookmark the website for future reference.
- Choose “Lecture Videos” from the menu on the course website.
- Select the video you would like to watch.
- Log in to watch the video using your Harvard ID number and PIN (note: videos cannot be downloaded).
Videos are available at least 24 hours after the course meets on campus and remain online for the duration of the semester.
After completing the steps above, if you still have problems either in configuring your computer or when you try to attend class call:
- (617) 495-4024 Mondays through Fridays from 9 am to 5 pm eastern time
- (617) 998-8571 Mondays through Fridays, 5 pm to midnight; Saturdays, 9 am to 10 pm; and Sundays, noon to 10 pm eastern time.
- Or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.