You can earn your Harvard Extension undergraduate degree by taking a combination of  online and on-campus classes.

Online courses

Our online courses include live streaming video or videotaped classroom lectures that have the look and feel of being in a Harvard Yard classroom. These include a number of Harvard College courses that are videotaped for the Extension School population.

We also offer web-conference courses that require real-time participation. Ordinarily, these courses are limited enrollment and offer a high level of student-to-student and student-to-instructor interaction.

To find online courses, use the degree course search. Also see How Distance Education Works for technology requirements.

On-campus requirement

While you can earn the majority of your degree credits through online courses, you must take a minimum number of courses on campus.

  • Associate degree on-campus requirement: at least 8 credits in on-campus-only courses
  • Bachelor’s degree on-campus requirement: 16 credits in on-campus-only courses

Only courses that are returned after choosing the on-campus course requirement box in the undergraduate degree course search meet the requirement.

You can complete the on-campus requirement during the 15-week fall and spring terms (maximum enrollment 16 credits per term), intensive three-week January sessions (maximum enrollment 4 credits per session), and seven-week Harvard Summer School (maximum enrollment 8 credits per term).

Also, check out our new hybrid courses that meet mostly online with an intensive on-campus weekend component (use the degree course search, choose “On-campus requirement courses,” then scroll through to find “Hybrid” under Type).

International students who need an F-1 student visa can only complete the degrees through a combination of Extension School online courses and Summer School on-campus courses. Harvard Summer School offers housing and I-20 certificates for the F-1 student visa. The Extension School does not offer I-20s.

The benefits of studying on campus

If you plan to apply to graduate school or make a significant career change after earning your undergraduate degree, we recommend you come to campus for at least one academic year.

During your time here you can:

The Harvard Extension School does not offer housing. For advice and a list of helpful resources, read the blog post Tips for Moving to Boston for a Degree Program.