Bachelor of Liberal Arts Degree
Start or finish your undergraduate degree part time. In the undergraduate degree program, you can sharpen your written and verbal communication, enhance your critical and analytical capacity, and deepen your knowledge in a chosen field for career advancement and personal growth.
Key learning outcomes
Through the Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree you gain:
- A well-rounded academic foundation, through a blend of courses in traditional liberal arts fields and focused subject areas, such as business management and administration, biology, international relations, and computer science.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to convey views and opinions in academic and professional contexts.
- The ability to think critically across a variety of subjects, fostering an informed, independent worldview.
- Membership in a diverse student community of adult learners, providing an enriching learning environment.
The undergraduate degree includes 32 courses (128 credits, at least 16 credits taken on campus).
- Get started. You begin by completing three admission courses from the program curriculum. This coursework establishes your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While you are completing your third admission course, you submit your application. You can transfer up to 64 credits from other schools. We have application periods in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. You can pursue most of your degree online, if you wish. But to fully experience Harvard, you are required to complete at least 16 credits (roughly four courses) on campus. Your options for study include on-campus courses, active learning weekend courses, and courses that combine weekly online classes with an intensive weekend on campus.
Affordability is core to our mission. Our 2016–17 undergraduate tuition is $1,400 per course (an exception applies to courses in digital media and computer science, for which the tuition rate is $2,550). At the $1,400 rate, the total tuition cost of earning the full undergraduate degree is $44,800. If you're transferring in 64 credits, the total tuition cost is $22,400.
There are a number of financial aid options available once you’re admitted to the program.