With more than 7 billion people on the planet, climate change dominating the headlines, and growing scarcity of natural resources, there is a strong need for individuals and organizations to design and implement effective sustainability and environmental management solutions. Through this professional graduate certificate, gain an advantage in the workplace, deepen your knowledge, and demonstrate your expertise in sustainability.
Key learning outcomes
- Understand the benefits of conventional and renewable energy systems; issues surrounding new transportation technologies; energy intensity of food production; effects of supply chain management and international commerce in energy security, energy management in buildings; and mechanisms needed to evolve into sustainable energy operations.
- Implement sustainability management at the nexus of a local business, local government, and community, as well as use management systems and performance frameworks.
- Leverage your knowledge of focused subject areas—such as environmental economics, greenhouse emissions management, sustainable building design, sustainable supply chain management, environmental toxicology, or risk management—to achieve a specific objective.
No application is required. You simply register for graduate courses during our fall, spring, or summer registration periods.
Earning the Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete five certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
The professional graduate certificate in Sustainability requires five courses:
- Environmental Management (ENVR E-101): This course is required of all students who begin the Sustainability certificate coursework in Fall 2017 or later.
- Skills courses (choose at least 2 courses; may select up to 4 courses)
- Electives (formerly knowledge courses) (may select up to 2 courses; however, electives are not required for this certificate)
Effective Fall 2017, the Sustainability certificate has a new configuration. Students who started coursework in Summer 2017 or before may choose to use the new configuration or may continue with the previous certificate configuration (i.e., two electives and three skills courses); students have three years from the date of their first course to complete the certificate.
All students will use the same Certificate Tracker in Online Services, regardless of which configuration they are pursuing.