Museum Studies Certificate
Gain a deeper understanding of what it takes to be an agile museum practitioner for the twenty-first-century museum—one who is always making connections and finding new possibilities in order to keep operations smooth, collections relevant, and visitors inspired.
Key learning outcomes
Understanding of important museum management practices, such as leadership, financial management, organizational behavior, or resource development.
Vital insight into facets of visitor experience and exhibits, including curation, conservation, collection management, and design.
- Knowledge of museum-focused topics, such as exhibition development and design, visitor engagement, museum law, or technology.
No application is required. You simply register for courses during our fall, spring, or summer registration periods.
Earning the certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete 16 certificate credits at the graduate level.
- This can be accomplished by completing three 4-credit certificate courses and two 2-credit certificate courses OR four 4-credit certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
The professional graduate certificate in Museum Studies requires four courses or 16 credits.
You may choose any four courses from the Museum Studies certificate course group, using the certificate course search.
Study on-site at the Smithsonian: Harvard Extension now offers active learning weekend courses at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC.
Apply Active Learning Weekends to your Museum Studies certificate: Enrolling in any two 2-credit museum studies active learning weekend courses––in place of a 4-credit course––may count towards earning the Museum Studies graduate certificate. Approval is required before pursuing this option. Please e-mail email@example.com for more information.
Note: The online certificate tracker will not display 2-credit courses.
Courses taken before the 2013–14 academic year do not apply toward this certificate.