Legal Studies Certificate
This certificate will no longer be enrolling new students after the summer 2017 semester.
Explore how law shapes and is shaped by political, economic, and cultural forces. Through this professional graduate certificate, you gain an understanding of the theoretical frameworks and historical dynamics of law.
Key learning outcomes
- Develop an understanding of the impact of legal issues on diverse fields, institutions, and segments of society.
- Build a grounding in the rhetoric of legal discourse and legal issues, such as court structures, jurisdiction, litigation processes, privacy rights, contracts, criminal law, and intellectual property.
No application is required. You simply register for graduate courses during our fall, spring, or summer registration periods.
Earning the Certificate
To meet the requirements for the certificate, you must:
- Complete four certificate courses for graduate credit.
- Earn at least a B grade in each course.
- Complete the courses within three years.
The professional graduate certificate in Legal Studies requires four courses.
You may choose any four courses from the Legal Studies certificate course group, using the certificate course search.
Courses taken before the 2014–15 academic year do not apply toward this certificate.