Museum Studies Degree
Learn techniques and strategies for keeping museum collections relevant, audiences inspired, and operations smooth.
Key learning outcomes
Through the master’s degree in museum studies you gain:
- Deep knowledge of twenty-first-century museum operations, including program development and evaluation; visitor engagement and education; collections care and research; fundraising; marketing, and legal issues.
- Enhanced knowledge of exhibition content development and design, museum technology, public outreach, communications, and social media.
- Hands-on experience through intensive courses at Harvard museums, including active learning weekends and an internship and capstone project.
The degree includes eight courses—at least two taken on campus—an internship and a capstone.
- Get started. You begin by completing three admission courses from the program curriculum. This is your opportunity to demonstrate your commitment and ability to perform well as a Harvard student.
- Apply to the program. While you are completing your third admission course, you submit your application. We have application periods in the fall, spring, and summer.
- Continue your studies, online and on campus. As you progress through the program, you may choose from courses offered on campus or online, in the fall, spring, or summer. To fully experience Harvard, you take at least two courses on campus as part of your degree. Short, intensive on-campus options are available.
- Gain real-world experience. Complete an internship under the guidance of a museum supervisor to expand your professional network and gain real world experience.
- Complete a capstone. You'll apply knowledge and skills obtained in the program to design, execute, and communicate a significant museum studies hands-on, applied research project that will showcase your expertise to current or future employers.
Affordability is core to our mission. Our 2015–16 graduate tuition is $2,400 per course; the total tuition cost of earning the graduate degree is approximately $24,000.
There are a number of financial aid options available once you’re admitted to the program.